Metal Grinding & Sanding Services
Do you need to have a metal surface smoothed out before you can apply a finish, but don’t know how you achieve this? Our metal grinding and sanding services are the two most common ways to achieve a smooth surface on metal. However, these processes can be difficult and time-consuming.
ABT Metals offers both grinding and sanding services to help you achieve the perfect finish for your project. We have the experience and equipment necessary to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Table of Contents
Request A Quote
Grinding and Sanding Process
Grinding is the process of removing material from a metal surface using an abrasive wheel. This can be done to create a smooth surface or to prepare the metal for painting or other finishes.
Sanding is the process of smoothing down a metal surface using sandpaper. This is usually done to create a smooth finish before painting or other finishes are applied.
Applications of Grinding and Sanding
Grinding and sanding are often used in the following applications:
- Preparing metal surfaces for painting: In order to get a smooth finish when painting metal, it is necessary to remove any imperfections from the surface. This can be done by grinding or sanding the metal.
- Creating a smooth surface: If you want to create a smooth surface on metal, such as for a tabletop or countertop, grinding and sanding are the best methods to use.
- Removing rust: Rust can be removed from metal surfaces by grinding or sanding. This is a common application for our services.
- Preparing metal for welding: In order to weld metal, it is necessary to remove any paint or other finishes from the surface. This can be done by grinding or sanding the metal.
- Shaping metal: Metal can be shaped by grinding or sanding. This is often done to create custom metal pieces or to create a specific shape for a project.
- Finishing metal: Grinding and sanding can be used to create a variety of finishes on metal surfaces. This includes creating a brushed finish, polishing the metal, or creating a matte finish.
What Methods Are Used for These Purposes?
Grinding can be done using a variety of methods, depending on the size and shape of the metal surface. Some popular types of grinding tools include angle grinders, die grinders, and bench grinders.
Sanding is usually done with sandpaper or other abrasive sheets attached to an orbital sander or belt sander. Hand sanding can also be used for smaller surfaces.
Some of the commonly used methods include:
- Angle grinding: This is a popular method for grinding down metal surfaces. Angle grinders come in a variety of sizes and can be used to grind down both large and small surfaces.
- Die grinding: This method is typically used for smaller metal surfaces. Die grinders are handheld tools that use abrasive wheels to remove material from the surface.
- Bench grinding: This method is often used for larger metal surfaces. Bench grinders use horizontal wheels to grind the surface down, allowing for quick and even removal of material.
- Orbital sanding: This method uses a machine that moves linearly and oscillates at the same time. This can provide a much smoother finish than hand sanding, which is why it is often used for larger surfaces.
- Belt sanding: This method uses a belt of abrasive material to sand the surface. Belt sanders are also available in a variety of sizes and can be used on both large and small surfaces.
How to Choose the Right Method
The type of grinding or sanding method you choose will depend on:
- The size and shape of your metal surface: You will need to choose a method that can accommodate the size and shape of your metal surface.
- The type of finish you want: Some methods are better suited for creating a smooth finish, while others may be better for creating a rough finish.
- Your budget: Some methods, such as hand sanding, can be very time-consuming. If you have a limited budget, you may need to consider more efficient methods.
- Your timeline: Some methods, such as angle grinding, can remove material very quickly. If you have a tight timeline, you may need to consider a faster method.
- Your experience level: Some methods, such as die grinding, require more experience to use effectively. If you are new to metalworking, you may want to choose a simpler method.
Benefits of Using ABT Metals
ABT Metals has more than 20 years of experience providing high-quality grinding and sanding services to both businesses and homeowners. Our experienced technicians use state-of-the-art equipment to get the job done quickly and accurately. And we offer competitive pricing on all of our services.
With our services your business can get:
- A smooth metal surface, perfect for painting or other finishes: When you need a metal surface that is ready for painting or other finishes, you can trust ABT Metals to help you get the job done right.
- The perfect finish on your metal project: Whether you’re building a custom bike or creating an art installation, having the perfect finish is essential. Our sanding and grinding services will give you the perfect finish for your project or any special metalworking project.
- A quick and efficient metal service: With our 20+ years of experience, ABT Metals can help you achieve the perfect metal surface quickly and efficiently.
We provide our customers with a quality finished product using our surface grinding and sanding machinery. Giving your metalwork a finished, glistening shine can turn it from a bland product into a piece of art. Our equipment is capable of grinding various materials including ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
Metal Surface Grinding
Our surface grinding machine is used either to smooth out a rough metallic surface or to remove a precise amount of material. Grinding machinery consists of a large table that moves on a horizontal plane below a grinding wheel. When grinding is used to smooth a surface, it removes burrs, levels welds, and creates sharp edges. Occasionally manual grinding has to take place to reach every area of a part’s surface to ensure that all areas have been ground accordingly.
Ferrous and Nonferrous Material Sanding and Grinding
We are able to work with both ferrous and nonferrous materials when grinding. This gives you the freedom to have your part manufactured out of many different types of metals. Ferrous metals usually have a main component of iron in them and are extremely strong and malleable. Nonferrous metals are not corrosive, so they are useful for making parts that will be exposed to the elements. Whatever your part is made out of, we will be able to work with it.
Why Choose ABT Metals?
With more than 20 years of experience in the sanding and grinding industry, ABT Metals is your go-to provider for high-quality services at competitive prices. Our experienced technicians use state-of-the-art equipment to get the job done right, and we offer flexible scheduling so that you can easily fit our services into your busy schedule. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule a free consultation.